Water Lab: A Digital Learning Experience
Welcome to the Water Lab’s Winter Session! West Basin is excited to continue offering a collection of free online classes and family-friendly resources available to the community. A full listing of programs and schedules is provided below. All webinars will be live-hosted by West Basin staff or in partnership with other subject-matter experts and participants will be given the opportunity to ask questions during and after each presentation. NOTE: Space is limited and wait lists are currently unavailable, so please sign up as soon as possible.
Know Your H2o Webinar Series
Do you know your H2O? Enjoy an evening with West Basin with this opportunity to take an in-depth look into one of life’s most important resources: water. Webinar participants will enjoy an evening learning about one of four topics:
- Wednesday, January 13: Where Your Water Comes From – An exciting journey from mountain(top) to tap
- Saturday, February 6: Water Recycling Facility Virtual Tour – Take a peek behind the curtains of a world-class recycled water production facility
- Wednesday, March 10: Water Supply Diversity – Adapting to an ever-changing water reality
Virtual Field Trips and Online Student Resources
West Basin continues to offer a variety of free, online water education programs that encourage 3rd-12th grade students to learn about our region’s precious water sources and how to be water stewards in their communities.
- Virtual Field Trips: Virtual field trips are live-hosted by West Basin staff and are intended as an alternative to in-person field trip. These events also support teachers conducting synchronous distance learning with their classrooms.
- Drop in the Bucket: This classroom presentation program, offered in partnership with The Wildwoods Foundation, will teach students about Southern California’s water sources and practical ways to conserve water.
Please contact West Basin Education Coordinator at email@example.com for more information.
In partnership with Metropolitan Water District, online landscaping courses will be held weekly, starting in January.
- California Friendly and Native Landscape Training: Understand what makes a landscape watershed wise and how to start planning your home garden project
- Turf Removal and Garden Transformation Workshops: Learn how to remove grass and select climate-appropriate plants to maintain a beautiful garden year-round
- Garden Design Workshops*: An in-depth look at the critical steps needed to successfully design a watershed wise landscape
*Currently, only those who have attended the CA Friendly and Native Landscape Training or Turf Removal Workshop (online or live) are permitted to attend a Garden Design Workshop.
West Basin Cares – Pilot Program
As a show of support for healthy local communities, West Basin is piloting a care package program consisting of face masks, hand sanitizer, and other items meant to encourage safe practices and prevent the spread of COVID-19. At this time, participants of the Know Your H2O webinars and Community Updates program that reside in the West Basin service area are eligible to receive care packages. #WestBasinCaresPackage
Community Updates (Speakers Bureau)
West Basin water experts are available to conduct online presentations to service area businesses and community organizations interested in specific water topics. Examples include:
- Who is West Basin Municipal Water District?
- West Basin Recycled Water Project Updates
- Doing Business with West Basin